digital payments ecosystem Ghana

Building an Inclusive Digital Payments Ecosystem in Ghana

A Diagnostic Report by Better than Cash Alliances shows Ghana has taken important steps toward digitizing its economy, and has several of the building blocks of an inclusive digital ecosystem already in place.

The Managing Director of Better than Cash Alliance, Dr. Ruth Goodwin-Groen explains that leading by example, the progress made by government digitalizing its payments encouraged large private businesses to take positive steps in the digitalization process.

Read also: Learn how to make money with your smartphone

Even so, Ghana remains at the initial stages of its digitization journey, with cash still prevalent in many parts of the economy. The report points out that that estimated annual value of payments made through digital channel in 2016 was 561 billion cedis. Out of this figure it is deduced that 37% of payment is made through electronic channel while the remaining 63% is made by cash

Barriers

A number of key barriers must be overcome if the country is to drive forward its digitization agenda. The report draws on a fast-growing body of knowledge about success factors in similar markets. It also examines three areas of specific focus. Government fees and fines, public utility payments, and the fast-moving consumer goods sector are areas where digitization can have particularly powerful impacts.

Read also: 21 Legit ways to make money online

Impacts

Realizing the potential gains offered by digitization will help expand financial inclusion, boost government revenues, and drive new economic opportunities for Ghanaian individuals and businesses. In doing so, greater digital payments can significantly strengthen Ghana’s economy and society, now and for generations to come.

Read also: Wala: The free digital bank account that allows deposits and withdrawals at ATMs

The report concluded that the centralized National ID system is crucial for expanding financial inclusion in the informal sector

By Rebecca Essilfie

Get more stuff like this

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Related posts

Here’s an Easier Way to Save Money and Become Richer

Joseph Amponsah

Banks in Ghana: All about Bank of Africa

Joseph Amponsah

Banks in Ghana: All about Fidelity Bank

Joseph Amponsah

Banks in Ghana – List of all banks in Ghana with office locations and contacts

Joseph Amponsah

Are Banks Deliberately Assigning Beautiful Ladies to their Elite Branches?

Joseph Amponsah

Here’s are the Benefits of Call Accounts you need to consider

Joseph Amponsah

Banks in Ghana: List of all Licensed Rural Banks and Community Banks in Ghana

Joseph Amponsah

Are Cash Depositing ATMs Facilitating Money Laundering?

Joseph Amponsah

Bank Charges in Ghana too High for Small Businesses ?

Joseph Amponsah

Bankers Get Broke Often Than You Think

Joseph Amponsah

Microfinance Institutions are failing and this is why

Joseph Amponsah

Recapitalisation & Then What Next?

Kwamina K. Asomaning

4 Ways Online Banking Benefits You And Your Business

Kwabena Okyire Appianing

Making Your Child an Authorized User on Your Credit Card

Kwabena Okyire Appianing

Banks in Ghana: All about Sahel Sahara Bank

Joseph Amponsah

Why Small Businesses and Startups Must Have Bank Accounts

Joseph Amponsah

Banks in Ghana: All about Bank of Baroda

Joseph Amponsah

Your Savings Account can Make you Rich – or Poor.

Joseph Amponsah

Getting your Loan request Approved Fast. What you need to know

Joseph Amponsah

Britain Gives Directive to Freeze Accounts of Illegal Immigrants

Rebecca Essilfie

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.